Riverview Cemetery

Ott, Louis

Louis Ott was born on August 27, 1869, to German immigrants Phillip Ott and Elizabeth Wippenbeck. He was born in a log house across the road from the Cole County Courthouse in Marion, Missouri. Although his father owned a farm, Ott was forbidden to ride any horses because his younger brother had been thrown from a horse and killed. Instead, Ott broke a calf, and rode it.

Ott took a steamboat to Jefferson City in 1882, and worked in his father’s lumber business after school and on Saturdays. After graduating, Ott began an apprenticeship with a plumber, but quit to work with his father full time.

Ott established a reputation in the lumber industry by writing “Lumber Doctor” articles in the St. Louis Lumberman. He addressed the Lumber Associations all over the Midwest, in Illinois, Indiana, Arkansas, and Nebraska, as well as Missouri.

He married Hilda Wagner, and the couple had two children, Irene and Elmer, and seven grandchildren, Frank Louis Steppleman, Jack Donal Steppleman, Elmert Ott Jr., William Albert Ott, and Thomas Sproule Ott. Louis Ott built homes for the families of his daughter and son, and designed “Ott Park,” with a playground, pond, island, and cave for his grandchildren.

HISTORY MAIN MENU